House by the side of the road
House Manager Report
April 6, 2019
1. Client Statistics – We served 661 units (families) in the first three months of 2019. (In 2018 we served 630 in the same time period. In 2017 we served 522.) Of the 661 families served, 147 were new. The 661 families consisted of 970 adults and 920 children for a total of 1890 people.
2. Saturdays – On Saturday, April 6, we had 1 client – a mother and her adult son who has applied to be a member of Fresh Start. They shopped for 2 ½ hours. We had 10 very productive volunteers – 5 were U of M students from Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, 1 was from Alpha Phi Omega.
3. Volunteers – We are up to 34 regular volunteers. In addition we have 2 reliable community service volunteers. We could always use more.
4. Donation Status – Donations continue to pour in. We are probably saving too many in the garage. We had a very generous donation from a family (2 parents and 1 small child) who were selling their house and moving into a renovated van that would be their home for the next few years. We received an amazing range of very useful items from bed linens to dishes and appliances to toys. Some of the unusual items that were donated included: snorkeling equipment and flower pots. Both of these were taken with enthusiasm by clients.
Our current needs are (no change from last month):
5. Business/Community Contacts –
6. Community Outreach –
7. Facility Status –
8. Safety Issues – No known issues.
9. Areas that need attention –
10. Client Stories – A new client (a grandmother) came to shop at the House. Her daughter had recently died of an opioid overdose, leaving behind 5 children which were now the grandmother’s responsibility. She was able to get clothes for all 5 children.
11. Overall Appearance and Organization – We continue to keep up with the donations but it takes a lot of volunteers. Having people work on Saturdays is essential. Shoes are currently our biggest challenge.
12. Computer plans – We are still waiting.
Mary Danforth, House Manager